Smoothie Training Agenda | goodsugar
Lesson 1: Health Code 101
- Hang out name tag, notebook and pen to new Team Member(s)
- Review Health Code Regulations Cheat Sheet
- Review Dress code Policy (including hair and jewelry policies)
- Review Three Compartment Sink Instructions and Set-Up
- Review Glove and Mask Policy
- Inquire if new Team Member has any allergies that may prevent them from working here or trying any of our products
Lesson 2: Ingredients 101
- Hand out Ingredients Benefits Cheat Sheet
- Review all ingredients and their nutritional benefits
- Tour and explain the layout of the Smoothie Bar and the proper ergonomic flow of Smoothie making
- Review smoothie station set up and breakdown
- Review location where all ingredients are kept; including bases, frozen items, powders, sweeteners, extracts, oils and where backstock can be found
- Review use of utensils and various equipment, measuring spoons, spatula, and review portion control
- Make sure to emphasize the importance of level spoons/scoops of every ingredient
- Hand out menu and review (reading out loud alternating with new Team Member) all smoothie recipes
Lesson 3: Blender 101
- Review all parts of Blenders
- Drive Socket
- Blade - emphasize danger of blade and that nothing should ever go inside the beaker except smoothie ingredients. No hands, no spatulas.
- Lid Plug
- Tamper Tool
- Review how to turn on and off blenders and the importance of verifying that blenders are at 100% before making the first smoothie of the day
Lesson 4: Smoothies 101
- Smoothie Training: (Start with the Top Five best sellers)
- Step 1: Print and hand out recipe of first smoothie
- Step 2: Read recipe to new Team Member outloud
- Step 3: Describe flavor profile and nutritional benefits of smoothie, as well as the specific time that this smoothie should be suggested to customers (for breakfast, post workout, for kids, etc)
- Step 4: Slowly demonstrate exactly how smoothie should be made (emphasizing portion control, order of ingredients, specific blender setting that should be used and exact consistency we are looking for)
- Step 5: Ask new Team Member if they have any questions
- Step 6: instruct new Team Member to make the same smoothie
- Step 7: Have New Team Member try their smoothie. Inquire for feedback
- Repeat until ALL smoothies have been made at least twice
Lesson 4: Smoothie Tips and Tricks
- Review Most Common Smoothie-Making Problems and their correct Solutions
- Demonstrate how to fix watery smoothies and how to thin out smoothies that come out too thick
- Emphasize that over blender a smoothie with result in a watery consistency and not blending a smoothie enough will result in too thick of a consistency
- Make sure that Team Members are aware: There are only 3 things that can go wrong and affect a smoothies consistency:
- Recipe was not followed correctly (too much or too little ingredients were added)
- Smoothie was overblended
- Smoothie was under blended
- Review what to do if any of the above occur. Remind Team Member never to panic and that there are No Problems Only Solutions! Once they finish Smoothie Training they will be fully prepared to reconcile ANY issues that take place at the smoothie station. They got this!
- Review Protocol to follow if guest does not like their smoothie
- Review exactly what to say to guest and what to do if new Team Member got the order wrong
- Review and demonstrate how to make multiple smoothies at a time
- Review and demonstrate cleaning as you go, and how to move quickly and efficiently at the Smoothie Station
Break | 30 min
Lesson 5: Smoothie Bowls 101
- Review Smoothie Bowl Ingredients and Toppings before beginning
- Review all Smoothie Bowl recipes
- Review all Smoothie Bowl Nutrition facts
- Review consistency and texture standards of bowls.
- Review and show Team Member where all Smoothie Bowl Toppings are kept and where backstock can be found.
- Start making Smoothies Bowls: (Start with the Top best sellers)
- Step 1: Print and hand out recipe of first smoothie bowl
- Step 2: Read recipe to new Team Member outloud
- Step 3: Describe flavor profile and nutritional benefits of smoothie bowl
- Step 4: Demonstrate exactly how smoothie bowl should be made (emphasizing portion control, order of ingredients, specific blender setting that should be used, consistency and texture standards of bowls and how toppings should be placed)
- Step 5: Ask new Team Member if they have any questions.
- Step 6: instruct new Team Member to make the same smoothie bowl.
- Step 7: Have New Team Member try their smoothie bowl. Inquire for feedback.
- Repeat until ALL smoothie bowls have been made at least twice
Break | 10 min
Lesson 6: Smoothie Review
- Have Team Member make Top Five best selling smoothies to ensure they have grasped how to use blender and build smoothies with proper consistency and feel comfortable with equipment and ingredients
- Do not time Team Member (it is too soon) but emphasize that within two weeks they will be expected to make each smoothie and each bowl within a certain amount of time
Lesson 7: Questions, Concerns, and Quiz
- Ask Team Member if they have ANY questions on anything (emphasize this early on in Training day (see Note To Trainer below)
- Quiz Team Members on what they learned during Smoothie Training | Have products as prizes
Note To Trainer:
- Emphasize early on and throughout training that this is the time to ask ANY and ALL questions. This is a designated day to practice before we start making smoothies for paying customers.
- If a Team Member has no previous experience making smoothies than another full day of smoothie training is recommended.